- Raffle: Mary’s Gone Crackers - November 27, 2020
- Costco Shopping – November 15, 2020 - November 23, 2020
- Costco Coupons, Member-Only Savings, December 2020 - November 18, 2020
My song of the day – Purple Rain. I bought this tape back in the 80’s.
I have 14 bottles of hot sauce. It’s fun to try different hot sauces. To me, it’s an inexpensive activity to get my mind off from what’s going on in the world. I am not a crazy hot sauce guy. I can comfortably enjoy SHU heat scale of 40,000. Which means, I can handle spicy food better than average people, but I am not in the extreme tier.
I don’t need 10 bottles of hot sauce. I only need three. My 3 favorite hot sauces are Tapatio, After Death, and Crystal. Tapatio and After Death have been my favorite for last ten years, maybe longer. Crystal became one of my favorites after my trip to New Orleans.
*SHU (Scoville Heat Units) – measurement heat of chili peppers.
- Tapatio – Super cheap, super tasty, but not very hot (SHU 3,000). They are made in California, but Mexican folks love it. If you go to authentic Mexican taquerilas, you are likely to see Tapatios. You will rarely see Valentinas, which is a Mexican counterpart of Tapatio.
- After Death – It is expensive and hard to find. I will be lucky if I find this online for $10. It has a SHU of 50,000, which is way too hot for me. But, I mix this with Tapatio. I’ve been mixing Tapatio and After Death for about ten years, and I really like the taste of that mix. Depends on my mood, I can make a mild mix or strong mix. Because it’s too hot, one bottle lasts a few years.
- Crystal – Cheap and not very hot. To me, Crystal is more of spice than hot sauce. Crystal is a true Louisiana product. A few years ago I visited New Orleans and tried a lot of different food. Everywhere I went I saw a bottle of Crystal on the table. I had such a memorable experience in New Orleans. Since then, I always keep Crystal in my house. I started to replace Tabasco with Crystal. I respect Tabasco for its history and taste. But, Tabasco is too expensive for what they offer. Frank’s Red Hot can also replace Tabasco. They all have that vinegary taste. To me, Tabasco is for rich people. When I buy Tabasco the next time is when I buy a Porsche.
I went to Costco in New Orleans and took below picture of Crystal Hot Sauce (left). New Orleans will always be special to me.
I have some Asian spices as well. But, I didn’t include them in this line-up, because these Asian sauces need their own weight class. Fried Chili in Oil is not hot at all. Sriracha comes in 28 oz jug, because we use shot glass full at a time.
I will talk to you soon. Keep in touch.
I send special love to those who are alone and feeling depressed.