Shopping for a Bed

Home Forums Shopping for a Bed

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      John
      Keymaster

I have a $200.00 twin bed that I bought nine years ago (I used to be poor). I think I deserve an upgrade. So, I finally decided to upgrade my bed.  This is a major purchase. 

I would love to have a king size bed (I might as well). But king size mattress is too big and too expensive. They are for rich folks.  Full size is OK but it can be too small in the future.  I think I should get a mattress good for 2 people (I can dream, can I?).

So, I am going with a queen size.

Estimated expense: $1,400.00
      * Let me stress – $1,400.00 is A LOT of money to me. 

• Mattress – $649.99 – Costco (after $150 discount)
      • Box Spring – $140 – To be purchased from local mattress store
      • Bed Frame – $60 – Costco
      • Comforter – $150.00 – Costco
      • Duvet cover – $50.00 – Bed Bath and Beyond
      • Sheets, pillow case – $30.00 – Costco
      • Sheets, pillow case (#2) – $70.00 – Costco
      • Pillows (x4) – $20.00 – Costco
      • Comforter for Summer time use – $100.00 (?)
      • Bed skirt – ??

Below is my mini blog on my project progress

Down Comforter ordered (November 26, 2008)

• I ordered a queen size Hungarian goose down comforter by Laura Ashley – regular price was $169.99, but they had them on sale for $150.00 each.  Link to product
      • I know I should look at the comforter in person before buying.  But, I have a complete faith in Costco products.  I know I will love it.
      • When it comes down to comforters, there are two things to look at.
        1. What’s the fill-power?
          Higher number will give you more warmth. 700 is pretty good.  With a fleece duvet cover, I hope I don’t need anything extra such as en electric blanket.
        2. Are the compartments completely stitched up so the feathers will not move around?  I hate it when feathers move around and give me cold spots

* I think thread count is not that important because I’m going to use a duvet cover at all time.  My goal is to not wash my comforter for many years.  (Cover it, fluff it, Sun dry it, but try not to wash it.)

• Total price was $144.78
        • There was $9.79 tax
        • There was a limited time online saving of $35.00

Bed sheets & 2 pillows purchased (November 29, 2008)

Bed Frame Ordered (November 29, 2008)

• Bed frame was ordered from Costco for $59.00 plus tax

Mattress Ordered (December 07, 2008)

• $649.99 after $150 OFF
        NovaForm® Pure Comfort Grand™ Queen Mattress  
        Item #  354280
      • I did a research on mattresses online and made a purchase from Costco without actually seeing the mattress.  I have a blind faith that the mattress will be good for me.  We’ll see.
      • Detailed story on the mattress

Bed Frame & Mattress arrived – Mattress unpacked (December 10, 2008)

Box Spring Ordered – Delivery Date Set (December 12, 2008)

Purchased one more set of pillows (December 12, 2008)

** Bed too warm **
      The bed is too warm.  I hope I can fix this issue by replacing the bed sheet to smooth cotton rather than flannel I am using right now.

This will add extra $70.00 to my total expense

Extra Bed sheet purchased (December 19, 2008)

Nova Form Pure Comfort Grand
      Almost done – Jan 3, 2009 – No bed skirt yet.
      My old twin mattress is still in the back.
      Check out my poor-man’s curtain.  I don’t plan to buy new curtains while I’m in this apartment.  Why bother?  I need a house.

** I love this bed so far.  I am very happy with this.

Wrngway

I had purchased this same mattress not long after you.  It was about 3 years ago.  After a couple weeks I had adjusted to it and really loved it.  Unfortunately, the top portion became too soft and several months ago I started to get some back pain again.

With a 20 year warranty, I really expected it to last longer.  In any event, I still had my order number from my online order, so I decided to try to take it back to Costco.  After asking what was wrong with it, they took it back and gave me a full refund, just like their policy states.  I normally wouldn’t do a return like this, but it really ought to last longer than a few years.

I purchased a Sealy Birchmere Plush Eurotop to replace it (from Costco of course) and am pain free again! The new mattress was a little cheaper, so oddly enough I actually ended up getting a new mattress and some money back. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.