Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
This is my Turkey 2011 Mini Blog (Newer post on top)
I’ve been making turkey for last few years. I had a female friend with me last year. But, I’m usually cooking alone for myself. I will be home alone this year. This is not sad. I cook something special every weekend. So, this is fun for me.
* My opinion on brining: I think brining is just a hype. I would prefer taste of pure turkey. I would not put sugar in wine. I wouldn’t put A1 Sauce on a good steak. I will adhere to my Epicurean philosophy and enjoy the taste of pure bird. I gave brining a fair chance. And now, I officially declare myself an anti-briner.
- November 25, 2011: Leftover taste even better. It makes me sleepy just as same.
- Thanksgiving Day (7:00pm): Live video is now switched back on to candles. I put away leftover and finished doing dishes.
- Thanksgiving Day (4:45pm): Oh My God! This is the best meal I ever made this year. Ah~ hahahaha~! very happy. 🙂 🙂 🙂
- Thanksgiving Day (4:00pm): The bird is out of the oven. It’s burned on the top… I hope inside is better. Making side dishes now.
- Thanksgiving Day (2:00pm): The bird is in the oven. A lot of snacking going on. (wine, chocolate, shrimp cocktail…)
- Thanksgiving Day (11:00am): Woke up late. Live camera is now pointing at my kitchen. Started by making coffee… a lot of snacking & TV watching going on.
- November 24, 2011 (2:30am): I got wise and made some changes inside the cooler like this (below).
- November 23, 2011 (Wednesday) – I went to Bed Bath And Beyond on my lunch hour and bought a turkey rack and a fat separator. After dinner, I put the turkey in brine in the cooler with ice. I used a Ziploc Big Bag.
- November 22, 2011 (Tuesday) – After work, I mixed brine solution and did 3 loads of laundry. I wanted to take care of some work later (at night). But I fell asleep on the couch. I woke up with a stiff neck at 2am. ZZzz.
- November 21, 2011 (Monday) – I bought more stuff such as vegetable stock, fresh sage, fresh rosemary, etc. It was a nightmare looking for sage & rosemary. They were sold out everywhere. I found the last of sage & rosemary at Ralphs. It was a Thanksgiving Miracle!
- November 19, 2011 (Saturday) – Bought 11lb fresh turkey and ingredients for green bean casserole. It’s beginning to feel like Thanksgiving.