Latest posts by John (see all)
- Costco Member-Only Savings, August 5 – August 30, 2020 - July 31, 2020
- Costco Mortgage – Surprisingly Good Experience - July 27, 2020
- Costco Shopping – July 24, 2020 - July 24, 2020
I am healthy and I still have a job
Water damage trauma
- I am terrified about future water damage in the house. I learned that water leak is common. You are likely to have water damage in your house before your house gets robbed.
- For immediate peace of mind, I installed water detecting alarm system with 10 sensors. (adding 5-10 more sensors soon)
- I plan to re-route water pipes. That means I will install entirely new water pipes running over the ceiling. That will cost $5K or more.
- I now turn off main water valve every night, or every time I’m away from home.
- I will install a remote switch for the main water valve. So, I can turn on and off water with a smart phone.
- I shall replace my water heater that’s getting old.
- With that, I hope I don’t go through this traumatizing event ever again.
- Coronavirus pandemic is multiplying the level of anxiety and stress.
Recovery and repair
- Phase 1 was emergency recovery work – to stop water leak and dry interior of the house.
- Phase 2 was repair – replace damaged carpet with new flooring.
- It took 4 days to dry my house. That 4 days was miserable with noise and heat. I slept over at my friend’s house for 4 nights.
- They found asbestos in the bathroom and the laundry room. My insurance company sent people for quick clean up. But they were slow on communication. We wasted 8 days waiting for them. “We’ll get back to you” they said.
- If everything goes as planned, my house will be done around Easter.
- My insurance company sent an adjuster to my house, and gave me the Dollar figure on how much it would take to repair my house. I told them that I would use my own people for repair, so they would write me a check. Now, it is up to me to use that money wisely.
- I claimed 7 items for property damage with detailed pictures. The insurance agent was surprised. Most people claim a lot more items, she explained. “I am trying to be fair and honest” I replied. All my solid wood furniture looked good after they were dried.
Rainy Day Fund
- I have a rainy day fund. It takes one full day to move money to my checking account. This emergency fund is allowing me to keep calm and take care of everything that’s going on.
- First few days, I wrote a few checks in the amount of over $12,000.00. Then the insurance check arrived afterward. I could have used my credit card. I could have asked my guys to hold my checks for a few days. But, it was easier to write checks and say “The check is good”. My mind was at ease.
- Things are moving smooth because I was able to pay my people quickly.
- We are living in a scary time. A lot of people lost job at my work. If I didn’t have a rainy day fund, I would have a mountain of stress and worries right now. I live alone, so money is my strength. I am so glad I saved during my good time.
- From this point, I will save for not just one, but two possible disasters taking place at the same time. For example, I can lose my job and need a new roof at the same time.
Please take care. God bless everyone.