I am healthy and I still have a job
Water damage trauma
- I am terrified about future water damage in the house. I learned that water leak such as this is common. You are likely to have water damage in your house before your house gets robbed.
- For immediate peace of mind, I installed a water-detecting alarm system with 10 sensors.
- I plan to re-route water pipes. That means I will install entirely new water pipes running over the ceiling. That will cost $5K or more.
- I now turn off the main water valve every night, or every time I’m away from home.
- I will install a remote switch for the main water valve. So, I can turn on and off the water with a smartphone.
- I shall replace my water heater that’s getting old.
- With that, I hope I don’t go through this traumatizing event ever again.
- Coronavirus pandemic is multiplying the level of anxiety and stress.
Recovery and repair
- Phase 1 was emergency recovery work – to stop water leaks and dry the interior of the house.
- Phase 2 was repair – replace damaged carpet with new flooring.
- It took 4 days to dry my house. Those 4 days were miserable with noise and heat. I slept over at my friend’s house for 4 nights.
- They found asbestos in the bathroom and the laundry room. My insurance company sent people for quick clean-up. For that, we had to wait 8 days.
- My insurance company sent an adjuster to my house and gave me the Dollar figure on how much it would take to repair my house. I told them I would use my people for repair, so they would write me a check. Now, it is up to me to use that money wisely.
- I claimed 7 items for property damage with detailed pictures. And received $1.200.00
Rainy Day Fund
- I have a rainy day fund. It takes one full day to move money to my checking account. This emergency fund is allowing me to keep calm and take care of everything that’s going on.
- First few days, I wrote a few checks in the amount of over $12,000.00. Then the insurance check arrived afterward. I could have used my credit card. I could have asked my guys to hold my checks for a few days. But, it was easier to write checks and say “The check is good”. My mind was at ease.
- Things are moving smoothly because I could pay my people quickly.
- We are living in a scary time. Many people lost a job at my work. If I didn’t have a rainy day fund, I would have a mountain of stress and worries. I live alone, so money is my strength. I am glad I saved during my good time.
- From this point, I will save for not just one, but two disasters taking place at the same time. For example, I can lose my job and need a new roof at the same time.
Please take care. God bless everyone.