Instacart for Costco

Home Forums Costco Forum Instacart for Costco

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      amyaacosta
      Participant

Today I found out that when you purchase from Costco through the instacart app, YOU DO NOT GET YOUR 2% CASHBACK FOR EXECUTIVE MEMBERSHIP FROM COSTCO. I have been a Costco member for more than 20 years, and started shopping from Costco through instacart around a year ago. Originally, when I signed up for instacart from the Costco website, it stated that I will get all my Executive Membership points (2% cashback) credited to my account. I put in my membership number in my instacart profile. This month when I got back my 2% cashback check, I realized that it was very small. Today when I got my instacart delivery the receipt was in the box from Costco with a membership number that was not mine. So I called Costco customer service. I was on the phone for a while and the first representative said all she can do is offer me a $5 gift card. The supervisor that I was transferred to said that there is no way they can calculate the 2% because instacart is a third part app. She offered me a $20 giftcard for my troubles! She said that if I go to Costco.com and then click on the sameday delivery that gets you to order from instacart, then you will get the 2% back, but if you order directly starting at the instacart app you won’t get the 2%!!!! I was never informed of this rule beforehand. Were you? I was told the first time to enter my membership number and all will be taken care of. Since you never get a statement of the shopping details from Costco to calculate the 2%, now I’m wondering what else may not be credited. Let me know what you think.

John
      Keymaster

Thank you for letting us know.

This is interesting. It turns out, if you use instacart, you don’t have to be a Costco member to purchase Costco products.

Instacart is only 2 years old. Not all details are ironed out. There are new loopholes and gray areas.

If seems to me that, if you want 2% rewards, you must log in to Costco.com on your own and use your own credit card. Then Costco will know who’s shopping.

If you use Instacart app, as far as Costco is concerned, you are not shopping, Instacart is. Therefore, you don’t get 2% rewards, and non-members can purchase Costco items.

This bug may get fixed in the future(?) I don’t know.

FYI: I don’t use Instacart, so I may be incorrect.

John

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by John.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.