- Everything Bagel Seasoning - June 18, 2021
- Costco Coupons, Member-Only Savings, June-Jly 2021 - June 12, 2021
- Costco Shopping – June 9, 2021 - June 9, 2021
I make ham dinner for Christmas. New Year’s Day is when I enjoy split pea & ham soup. I make split pea soup with a leftover ham bone. I follow the recipe that comes with the ham.
Except, I do things a little differently. I put less ham. I don’t put salt and pepper. Ham is salty already, and I can always add salt later. When it comes to water, I put just enough amount of water to start. I would add more water as needed. Starting with less water is much better than starting with too much water – because there is no going back if you end up with thin soup. You don’t need to think too much about how much water is needed. You can just eyeball it and add more water as needed. The soup will tell you how much water is needed.
To make the soup, you have to be the soup.
Also, I put a few bay leaves that are not in the recipe.
The soup was amazingly good. I ate half and put the other half in the freezer.
Split Pea & Ham Soup recipe
- 1 (16-oz) pkg. dried green split peas, sorted and rinsed
- 2 quarts water
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 kirkland Signature Spiral Sliced Ham bone with leftover meat
- 4 cups cubed ham (or remaining leftovers)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Place split peas and 2 quarts water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat: reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Drain
- Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan. Saute onion, carrots, celery, and garlic in oil over medium-low heat until tender – about 10 minutes.
- Return the split peas to the saucepan.
- Add ham bone, cubed ham, 2 quarts water, salt, and pepper. Cover and bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Remove cover and continue simmering until desired thickness, stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham bone: cut off any remaining beat. Dice meat and return to soup before serving.